The Forgotten Friendships, Hidden Stories & Lost Loves Found In Second-Hand Books · Compiled by W. B. Gooderham
At the moment most of my writing tends to be for the international literary magazine Wasafiri (whose articles aren’t available on-line) and I’ve recently contributed essays to the Modern Books‘ anthology series, Literary Landscapes (2018) and Literary Journeys (to be published 2020).
In 2018 my short story ‘Flat White’ was shortlisted for Comma Press’s Dinesh Allirajah Prize for Short Fiction.
Below is a selection of my writing (mostly for the Guardian unless stated otherwise). The complete list of Guardian articles can be accessed via my Guardian profile.
- Kafka’s Metamorphosis and its Mutations in Translation
- Journeys in Literature: John Cheever’s The Swimmer
- Books to Give You Hope: John Lahr’s Prick Up Your Ears
- A Book to Share: Angela Carter’s Wise Children
- Baddies in Books: Alex from A Clockwork Orange
- Darkness in Literature: Saul Bellow’s Something to Remember Me By
- Winter Reads: The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
- Transformer: The Complete Lou Reed Story by Victor Bockris
- Once Upon a Time: The Lives of Bob Dylan by Ian Bell
- Time Out of Mind: The Lives of Bob Dylan by Ian Bell
- Top Ten Books Given in Books
- The Death of the Novel Inscription G2 article
- Blindly by Claudio Magris
- Interview with Robert Elms on BBC London about The Secret History of Second Hand Books
- Interview with Paul Auster for Time Out
- The fiction of literary friendship
- Among the grownups: Children in adult fiction
- Do too many authors spoil the book?
- The secret stories of book inscriptions
- Martin Amis’s war against death
- Reading your way out of depression
- Is Holly Golightly the Great Gatsby in drag?
- Growing up with your favourite fictional characters
Miscellaneous – in a past life I wrote and recorded music in the bands Baptiste & Kelman. Also did some Other Stuff. Here it all be (for better or worse).
- Baptiste *
- Kelman **
- Man o’ Mind
- Reading & discussing an extract from F.Scott Fitzgerald’s Tender is the Night with Read Me Something You Love
* Naturally, some songs are better than others. For the record, I’m (still!) fairly pleased with A New Career in a New Town, Icarus, Kissing With Your Eyes Open, A Worthy Grudge is a Beautiful Thing, Tired Bodies and Confessions of a Clumsy Man.
** Ditto. Recommended “cuts” (ugh): The Happiest Man Alive, These Days, Kicking Cans All The Way Home, Some Things Never Work Out and You’re Still Everything To Me.